Recipe To Make Classic French Onion Cheese Soup
Have you ever tasted French onion soup? Featured with sweet caramelized onions, a melting cheese crouton on top and fragrance of thyme, the soup certainly satisfies the appetite of all who has given it a try.
French onion soup does not only fill your stomach thanks to the high amount of calories it contains but it is also an ideal choice to be served as a first course on special occasions due to its eye-catching look.
As this soup becomes popular worldwide, you definitely make it right at home.
There are various version of recipe of French onion soup. However, we’re recommending you guys the recipe that creates traditional taste. If you find it hard to adopt any ingredient or step in it, you might replace with a similar one to meet your taste. Here is the recipe to follow:
Ingredients (4 servings and 585 calories/ each)
- 50g butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cups of halved and thinly sliced onions
- 4 (10.5 ounce) cans of beef broth
- 2 tablespoons of dried sherry or red wine
- Sugar, salt and pepper
- 4-8 slice of French bread (depend on size)
- 140g Gruyère cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Melt butter with olive oil in a 6-quart pot on a medium heat. Add onions and stir until soft. Make sure that they get caramelized, not burn.
- Add beef broth, sherry/ red wine and thyme in the pan, then season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn on the grill
- Ladle the soup into heatproof bowls and put a slice or two slices of toasted bread on top of each bowl. Layer each slice of bread with a tablespoon Gruyère cheese. Place bowls on cookie sheet and grill until melted.
Two things to avoid
To ensure the best taste of the soup, you need to follow instruction of the recipe, especially choosing pot and cooking onions.
Regarding the onions, make sure that the onions are caramelized before taking the soup pot out of the heat. If you cook them over heat or take them off the heat too soon, they cannot reach the color that is considered the spirit of the soup.
To cook this soup, you should use pot that gives the onions more room to evenly cook, and prevent the soup broth from spilling over. The large pots like ix-quart sauté pan or Dutch oven is a good choice.
Best Cheese for French Onion Soup
Unlike any other soups that can use different types of cheese, the classic French onion soup demands Gruyère cheese to create its traditional taste.
However, many that prefer enjoying new tastes add in the soup other types, like Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese or combine them with Gruyère. It’s totally understandable because our final purpose in making the soup is best enjoy it.
Providing full nutrients, French onion soup must be ideal to boost your energy during busy days. Not just that, its impressive garnish much help in regaining your appetite, even that of the gourmets. It’ worth tasting, right?